Monday, 22 September 2014

Costumes

Follow Amber's board Male Costume on Pinterest.

On this pinterest boad I added images of the male artists from bands such as Of Monsters of Men, Mumford and Sons, Noah and The Whale and Bombay Bicycle Club. I found that the conventions of folk musicians were waitcoats with shirts, skinny trousers or black trousers and messy hair. I will have to try and incorporate this into my work by buying or borrowing an outfit of this kind from someone. It may be difficult to find a suitable actor that has the correct hairstyle so I will focus solely upon the costume first and then try and find someone to fit the criteria. If I can't however I will need to make the costume stand out so the audience can understand what kind of music genre I am aiming for.

Lily did the girl's costume and this is the board she made.

Follow lily's board Costumes & Props on Pinterest. 

In this pinterest we can see that the girl needs to have messy hair, for example with plaits twisted into her normal hair. Also we could go for the festival look with the hairband with flowers or feathers tied into it or some kind of head wear. For her clothing we could use a flowery dress or shorts as this is what is common in the genre. For shoes we could use something like doc martens (boot kind shoes) or brogues etc as this is what we have looked at in our fashion of folk/indie.They usually wear a lot of bracelets and necklaces so during the week we will look for clothing that both of our characters can use so we are organised when it comes to the filming and so our audience can tell the genre when the video starts. 

Follow Dom's board Costume and prop ideas on Pinterest.

Using these pinterest boards and comparing them to professional media I can see that there is a clear genre convention in both gender costumes to make sure that the audience can distinguish the genre within all our products for example a running theme throughout the digipak to ensure that our music genre is clear. An example is in Mumford and Sons costume they wear near enough the same type of clothes throughout all their videos, which is where we've taken the inspiration from for our boy's costume because they're thought of as being 'farmer-like' dressers and therefore we want to show this because our genre of music is very similar to a girls. As you can see from the picture of them below in comparison to our boy character we have dressed them the same as want to incorporate it into our work. For the girl we have dressed her in the jumper because when we did the genre research for the girl's clothes we found that they dress quite festival-like with big jumpers, unstyled hair and simple make-up, we wanted to complement the girl and boy costume because it needs to follow the same theme. Birdy, a singer, we have taken inspiration from her because she follows these conventions with her being a folk genre singer I have added a picture below to show her style in comparison to our character who has dressed similar with the same hairstyle and make-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment